Data wrangler / R programmer
Symbolix build data science tools and provide expert data scientists to work with other analyst teams, mostly for government and big organisations.
We know they need to enable transparent actions within complex environments - difficult regulatory situations, complex spatial networks, and legacy data systems. Our client collaboration and agile project management means we continually deliver practical data science that allows our clients to move forward (no matter their starting point or constraints).
This is why we specialise in areas where complex systems thinking is required - connected urban and transport systems, environmental management, and complex organisational analytics.
We tackle wicked problems - and pride ourselves on elegant and useful solutions.
We work with (and make) open source tools. We are friendly and professional (even the office dog).
We need a support analyst to help us (and our clients) wrangle their data into a useful form for analysis. We also need some support with preparing analysis reports (documents and dashboards) and product ionising packages and documentations.
Most of the time you will program in R, and use MySQL and mongoDB. Data can come in all shapes and sizes including tiny csv files, massive data base dumps, API feeds, spatial data (shapefiles and geojson), etc.
This is an entry level position and would suit someone looking for experience in the data science industry. We offer the ability to learn new skills and build towards a data analyst, data science, data engineering or consultant role as you build up experience.
You will be:
- Building and populating databases (mostly MySQL and mongoDB)
- Guiding data audit report and programming data pipelines so data cleaning is repeatable
- Assisting with analysis reports - e.g. writing up analysis results in client reports.
- Assisting with running and debugging analysis scripts to feed dashboards and prepare data sets for clients.
- Writing technical documentation
- Building R packages
- Data processing (e.g. assistance with wrangling and tagging data for machine learning).
Key selection criteria
These skills are critical for the role:
- Qualification in maths, computer science or related quantitative field
- Competent R programmer or demonstrate the ability to quickly gain the skills you need to build scripts, documents, dashboards and packages in R
- Experienced database user (creating, loading, testing and querying SQL and noSQL)
- Ability to handle multiple projects, particularly the ability to document and communicate status with other team members
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience / ability to work in a team and participate confidently in one-on-one discussions, group discussions and more formally through project management software.
- Strong written English skills
It would be nice to have some combination of the following skills:
- Experience working in a cloud environment (we mainly use AWS)
- Experience with other languages (e.g. python, C++)
- Report writing
- Experience with the R
- Experience building dashboards with
- Experience writing documents with
- Experience building R packages
- This is a part-time position (0.6EFT) but we are open to discussing hours.
- This is a early career to mid-level position (between 1-5 years experience is preferable). The exact salary will depend on experience and skill levels, and will be discussed during the recruitment process.
- This is an ongoing position with a three month probationary period.
- Our offices are located in Williamstown North, Melbourne.
- We have an office dog and she is our longest standing employee, so we ask that applicants are ok sharing space with an old kelpie.